I finally managed to get the sock going at a decent fit and tension. It was a major pain.
Here’s my story: The first try was very uneven, barely went over my heel and was too tight around my upper leg – so off to the frog pond it went. The 2nd one was more even, but still too tight around the upper leg. My idea then was to knit the top pattern repeat in a larger needle size, which I did, but the stitch fabric turned out loosely and generally pretty ugly. So I decided to cast on 8 more stitches for the first pattern repeat and then decrease them in the second one – that worked like a charm and now I just finished the heel flap and they fit wonderfully 😀
This is a pic before I started the heel: